Monday, February 12, 2007

Chinese Superiority

So, since I've got another half an hour before my class starts and people are still afraid of that smoking bulb (actually, I'm a little suspicious of it as well, but the fast moving internet is much too tempting to turn down). Meaning there's some space for me to bitch about my culture and race.

Everyone's heard of racism and discrimination to prejudice and such, but such things happen between different races of the world. Unfortunately, for me it happens within my own race.

I am a victim.

See, there are many stories and stereotypes attached to our three main races of Malaysia. Malays are a lazy bunch of goverment servants known to have 'Minum Pagi', 'Minum Petang', and probably even 'Minum tengah malam'. For the Indians, it's the drama (ever heard of Bollywood?) and the Chinese... well, the Chine$e know mainly one thing... $kaching$.

At least that's what people say. Whether any of it is true is up to each individual to own up to.

But another main thing for the Chinese it's how they pride themselves in their culture and identity. If I recall my 'Sejarah Dunia', the Chinese from China (not us rojak dudes) actually thought that their country was the centre of the world. Although in some sense it's a good thing, but when it comes to opening up to others, we crash and burn, baby.

The 'Chinese truly Chinese' can often be so caught up in their pride that when a westernised Chinese comes along, everything she/he does is only an insult to their honour. So what do they do?

Simple, they completely shut the person out. Like cutting off a useless limb from the body or banishing a leper from the community.

Before this, I use to hate it when movies and TV shows portray Asians as some nerdy idiot who speaks in broken English, is timid, boring, and not to mention an utter loser. After all, those who I've known (friends, my mother, brother and I) are nowhere like that. Unfortunately, being in UTAR, I began to understand just why the West would see us as so.

The truth is, the Chinese are mainly as they see it in Hollywood and I'm the minority.

Shunned, ignored, pushed aside, and banished.

Okay, so maybe not as dramatic as that. Talk about my very first culture shock; doesn't happen when I'm in a foreign country but sadly enough, it's on local soil.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs you* Those people are ignorant. Even if it represents the majority, remember that you are better than this superficial attitute and that contrary to them, you can understand and be understood all over the world because of your english.
It might not help much, but look at all the persons you met through you speaking english!
*hugs you again* Be strong sis

Jo said...

Yeah, I know met you amazing bunch and one was insane enough to risk travelling to a foreign land to be poisoned by me.

Thanks, hun. *Hugs*